Monday, March 13, 2006

A Good Sampling Program Gone Wrong

Many retail companies are executing sampling programs inside the store. As we know, sampling new products to existing customers can be a highly effective sales tool for increasing knowledge of new products, cross selling and ultimately increasing ticket average.

But what happens when a perfectly good sampling program goes wrong?

Recently, I was shopping with a friend who is an avid, if not fanatical, customer of a well-known health and beauty chain. She wanted to stop in to pick up a few items, a quick stop that seemed harmless. After years of shopping with my dear friend, I should’ve known that an innocent “drop” into the store, typically ends up being a 30-minute visit filled with sampling new products and listening to sales pitches on the latest fountain-of-youth remedy. But this trip was a little different. This time, I found myself listening to the sales pitch on the newest line of products. The salesperson told us about the popularity of the line, how he has personally experienced results and that a sample would change our lives. Since my friend is the loyal customer, the salesperson built an instant bond with her – mostly making eye contact with her, leaving me to feel like an appendage rather than a potential customer. As my friend is getting slathered in mushroom-infused topical cream and listening to benefits, I think to myself how I would like to try some too. But to no avail. The salesperson never looks at me and tell me about the new line. And never offers me a sample of the mushroom-infused product.
While I could have requested to give it a try, I was curious to see if he would try to turn me into a believer. That salesperson lost out on an extra $150 in a five-minute period. I was all ready to plunk out my credit card and by the cream and oil. After all, I am in search of the fountain-of-youth too. But since I am not a loyal customer, or even an occasional customer of this chain, I was treated like an outsider. While in the store, they could’ve converted me making me a raving fan. This was an unfortunate missed opportunity. One that can never be reversed.This chain was doing everything right by sampling product, giving key beauty benefits, and making my friend feel good about her purchasing decision. But this is a case of a good sampling program gone wrong. And how many times does this happen at beauty counters, restaurants, clothing stores, and candy shops all around the country every day, hour and minute. Just because one person in a party is a raving fan does not mean that the others in the group should be ignored. In fact, this is a great time to initiate a relationship with potential new customers.

As marketers, we've got to keep our eye on the loyal customer and initiate a relationship with potential customers.

No comments: